Upon successful completion of the course students will be able to:
- Determine if workers qualify as an organization's employees or independent contractors, and explain what that distinction means to the organization.
- Communicate basic knowledge of Title VII including what is prohibited and who is covered by it.
- Describe legislation and federal acts related to diversity issues and explain how they impact an organization's human resource policies.
- Analyze situations for possible hostile environment threats and make accurate recommendations to either remediate or prevent hostile environment.
- Evaluate selection, performance appraisal and compensation systems for potential disparate impact and/or disparate treatment issues, and make appropriate recommendations regarding defense and/or remediation.
- Create a defensible anti-harassment policy and implementation plan.
- Distinguish between legal and ethical treatment of workers and explain the impact of failing to treat workers legally and/or ethically.
- Analyze employee retirement packages to ensure compliance with ERISA and the OWBPA.